Friday, March 11, 2011

Microwave cooking: pasta, eggs

Well, I've tried it again, and it worked, so my hopes are up that it isn't a fluke. I'm going to miss this microwave when I leave residence now that I have recipes figured out in it. I think it's 900W, maybe I'll look for a similar one. So here are my methods, written here so I don't forget:

Microwave Pasta
pasta, water, salt, big bowl, cover

Boil water (you can use the microwave to boil the water you'll want - but follow safety advice so it doesn't blow up in your face, literally; I boil it in the kettle).
Put your desired amount of pasta in the bowl, along with some salt for flavour and enough water to cover it by a few centimetres, then stir. Make sure the pasta & water fill less than half the bowl (it's probably going to bowl over anyway).
Cover your bowl (see previous bracket) and microwave for 3 minutes. Stir.
Microwave for another 3 minutes. Test for doneness - mine is done at this point, although Kraft Dinner says it'll take 9-12 minutesl just continue at 3 minute intervals, or whatever feels right for the pasta.
Drain and enjoy :)

Microwave Scrambled Eggs
2 eggs, ~1T milk, pepper, oil/butter (optional), cover

1. Crack eggs into bowl, add other ingredients, and whisk with fork.
2. Microwave, covered, for 1 minute.
3. Whisk with fork again.
4. Repeat steps 2-3.

Microwave Poached Eggs
egg, splash of water, seasonings

1. Crack egg into bowl/ramekin (for better shape) with a splash of water.
2. Microwave, covered, for between 55 and 70s, depending on how you like your yolk (me: solid but moist!).
I like to prepare this in a bowl and then put instant noodles in over top (though I only partially cook it, for ~40s, for that).

No comments:

Post a Comment